Based on the probability that at least 1 trade would have occurred when the Panthers go on the clock at 9 and if by chance certain players have dropped into their lap (Justin Blackmon, Morris Clairborne, Matt Kalil or Michael Floyd), then the Panthers stay at 9. If all are gone, then the Panthers start to look for a partner to trade down.
This will take a team with a need that is available at 9 and won’t make it past there. That means that the most sought after player at that point is Melvin Ingram who’s best fitted for a team that plays a 3/4 defense. A group of these teams are bunched between 12 and 18, so the Panthers could trade down and have a choice of 4 or 5 defensive players (Fletcher Cox, Michael Brockers, Dontari Poe, Luke Kuechly, Nick Perry and Stephon Gilmore).
Another possible trade would be with teams at the end of the first round that want one of these same players and need to move up for the chance. The most likely would be New England that has two picks at the end of the first round and two at the end of the second. The Panthers would probably trade down to the 28th pick and pick up the 48th pick in addition. This would seem to be the most attractive.
So let’s see how this would play out:
1. Indianapolis selects Andrew Luck Stanford QB.
2. Washington via trade with St. Louis selects Robert Griffin III Baylor QB.
3. Tampa Bay via a trade with Minnesota selects Trent Richardson Alabama RB.
4. Cleveland selects Ryan Tannehill Texas A & M QB.
5. Minnesota via trade with Tampa Bay selects Matt Kalil USC OT.
6. St. Louis via trade with Washington selects Justin Blackmon Oklahoma State WR.
7. Jacksonville selects Morris Clairborne LSU CB.
8. Miami selects Michael Floyd Notre Dame WR.
9. New England via trade with the Panthers select ?
28. Panthers select Janoris Jenkins North Alabama CB
40. Panthers select Ruben Randle LSU WR.
48. Panthers select Alameda Ta’amu Washington DT.
143. Panthers select Keenan Robinson Texas LB.
180. Panthers select Ron Brooks LSU CB.
207. Panthers select Tim Benford Tennessee Tech WR.
208. Panthers select Drew Butler P Georgia.
The Panthers will entertain additional trade offers for Jonathan Stewart that would
probably be in the 3rd to 4th round variety and you can bet if they find a suitor for Jimmy
Clausen even if it’s a 6 or 7th rounder, it will happen.