I was a little torn about our loss to the Cowboys. I felt terrible leaving the stadium today, and actually got into a little argument with a Cowboys fan, but on the car ride home I felt there wasn’t any glaring mistake we made that really cost us the game.
I decided that after every game I’d write a piece about the five things the Panthers did wrong or right, depending on the outcome of the game. This week I sort of ran into a roadblock. I couldn’t find five mistakes and if anyone tells there were five consistent mistakes the Panthers made, they’re lying. So without further ado I present the list.
- The Offensive line – Again, an All-Pro Offensive line did not impress this week. Granted, we were missing Ryan Kalil, a three time Pro-Bowl center, but excuses are nothing but excuses. We did find some success running the ball, one hundred and twelve yards on the day, compared to eighty five put up by Dallas, and we found much needed success, in my opinion, through the air. We did allow Cam to get rushed the entire game though, and allowed Dallas’s to accumulate two sacks.
- Referees – I don’t want to sound like I’m complaining, or being a completely biased Panther fan by saying this, but I did not approve of the calls in Sunday’s game. The should have been pass interference call really against Claiborne on Murphy, really would have changed the tide of the game, as well as the assumed horse collar against James Anderson.
- DeAngelo Williams – I was not impressed with DeAngelo at all, in fact I was livid with his play. I’m glad we replaced him after he recorded only four yards. I really hope he comes back to the form we saw against the Saints.
- Cam Newton – Now we move into the right column of this article. Cam Newton didn’t look like he did against some teams last year, but he looked really good against the Cowboys. I was really impressed by his presence in the pocket, as well as his poise. He never tried to force a play onto of our receivers. He also looked like himself while running the ball as well.
- Our receivers – I’m just going to say that Brandon LaFell is my favorite player on the Carolina Panthers. I love LaFell and always want the ball to go to him, and it sure did against the Cowboys. LaFell had fifty three yards on the day, and one touchdown. Smith, Murphy and Olsen also had very good games as well, adding their numbers to an overall two hundred and thirty three yards total through the air. All in all I was impressed with our receiving unit.
Overall, I thought we played well, well enough to win in fact. We just need to learn how to finish out a game, and we will be golden. We are just missing one spark to become a contender for a NFC South Championship. One more thing, I thought the Panthers defense played really well against the Cowboys, and I really hope they continue their level of play.
I got all my information on NFL.com.