Now that the season is over and we know Rivera will remain as coach, we turn
our focus on the draft. The following is a ranking of the first 32 players available
followed by my mock first round draft. I based the rankings by taking a composite
of multiple mock drafts available. I gave a player points for each draft spot and
for a total number of points divided by the number of drafts.
01 OT Luke Joeckel, Texas A & M
02 DE Bjorn Werner, Florida State
03 OLB Jarvis Jones, Georgia
04 DT Star Lotulelei, Utah
05 DE Damontre Moore, Texas A & M
06 CB Dee Milliner, Alabama
07 QB Geno Smith, WVU
08 ILB Manti Te’o, Notre Dame
08 OLB Barkevious Mingo, LSU
09 OT Taylor Lewan, Michigan
10 DT Jonathan Hankins, Ohio State
11 OG Chance Warmack, Alabama
12 WR Keenan Allen, CAL
13 OT Jake Matthews, Texas A& M
14 OT Eric Fisher, C. Mich
15 DE Dion Jordan, Oregon
16 DT Sheldon Richardson, Misso
17 QB Matt Barkley, USC
18 DT Jesse Matthews, Alabama
19 DT John Jenkins, Georgia
20 CB Jonathan Banks, Miss St
21 DE Ezekiel Ansah, BYU
22 OC Barrett Jones, Alabama
23 WR Terrance Williams, Baylor
24 OG jonathan Cooper, UNC
25 SS Kenny Vaccaro, Texas
26 TE Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame
27 DE Sam Montgomery, LSU
28 WR Justin Hunter, Tenn
29 WR Tavon Austin, WVU
30 WR Cordorrelle Patterson, Tenn
31 FS Eric Reid, LSU
32 ILB Alec Olgetree, Georgia
The following is my mock draft based on each teams pressing needs
and best player available at that position.
- KC Geno Smith, WVU QB, needs a QB however a
franchise type is not available in this draft.
. 2. Jac Bjorn Werner, Florida State OLB, front seven
help a must.
3. Oak Star Lotulelei, Utah DT, best defensive tackle at
their need position.
4. Phil Luke Joeckel, Texas A & M, Johnny Football’s
5. Cleve Damontre Moore DE Texas A & M, Best of a weak
6. Det Keenan Allen, CAL WR, another piece opposite
7. AZ Taylor Lewan, Mich OT, needs to shore up a weak
8. Buff Dee Milliner, Alabama CB, the best shut down corner.
9. NYJ Jarvis Jones, Georgia OLB, Ryan goes defense again.
10. Tenn Jonathan Banks Miss St CB, shut down corners get
thin from here.
11. SD Manti Te’o, ILB Notre Dame, He could go anywhere
from 5th to 15th.
12. Miami Jonathan Hankins, DT Ohio State, one the Panthers
wants but won’t get.
13. TB Jonathan Jenkins, DT Georgia, a Tampa need but may be
14. Carol Sheldon Richardson, DT Misso, Look for Jake Matthews
OT or Eric Fisher OT to get consideration here.
15, NO Barkevious Mingo, OLB LSU, big need position for a
16. STL Jake Matthews OT Texas A & M, a right OT that may
17. Pitt Chance Wamack OG, If Silatolu wasn’t here then yes.
18. Dallas Eric Fisher, OT C. Mich, a small college athlete with a
19. NYG Eric Reid, LSU FS, A New York need but a reach.
20. CHG Barrett Jones, OC/G can play multiple positions.
Injury issues are a concern.
21. STL Terrance Matthews, WR Baylor, Good mechanics and a
Gift from the Redskin in acquiring RGIII.
22. Cinn Kenny Vaccaro, Texas SS, a Cincy need but another reach.
23. Minn Justin Hunter, WR Tenn, could go higher after combine.
24. Indy Jonathan Cooper, OG UNC, more help up front for
25. Balt Alec Olgetree, ILB Georgia, Ravens looking for Ray Lewis’s
26. Seat Deandre Hopkins, WR Clemson, Seattle can use another
27. GB Tyler Eifert, TE Notre Dame, Green Bay would jump at this.
28. Hous Ezekiel Ansah, DE BYU, watch for him to move up, a beast.
29. SF Dion Jordan, DE Oregon, many think he’ll go higher.
30. NE Robert Woods, WR USC, another target for Brady.
31. Atl Giovani Bernard, RB UNC, Turner’s aging out.
32. Denv Sharrif Floyd, DT Florida, Big year, jumping up on most
Things will undoubtedly change after the Senior Bowl next week and the combine
later, but this gives us a good start to consider. I’ll follow with rounds 2 and 3 in the
next two weeks so stay tuned.