Before the season begins, I wanted to highlight some of the activities the Carolina Panther players and organization participate in to give back and make a difference in the community. I feel like we do not get to hear enough about the good things that they do.
The Panthers participate in several charities:
- Carolina Panthers Scholarship fund: They award 2 scholarships a year to one male and one female student athlete for graduate school. The scholarships are awarded based on “leadership, citizenship, and academic merit” per Panthers.com.
- Community Grants: The panthers give funding to non-profit organizations that meet the needs of communities throughout both North and South Carolina.
- Carolina Panthers Sam Mills Memorial Scholarship: This scholarship is for outstanding high school students who need assistance for college.
There are several other charities that the organization participates in conjunction with the NFL. Information on these charities can be found on Panthers .com.
Quite a few Panther players have created foundations for their favorite causes:
- Cam Newton Foundation: According to the foundation website at camnewtonfoundation.org the mission of the foundation is to enhance “the lives of youth by addressing their social, emotional, educational, and physical needs.” The organization accomplishes this by hosting programs like a 7 on 7 football tournament and Personal appearances by Cam. To see the faces of the kids he meets and speaks too, makes this a worthwhile organization.
- Jon Beason MLB Foundation: This is another foundation geared toward making the lives of youth better. They also host several programs like the Back to School Blitz, Hit the Books, and College Bound.
- Thomas Davis Defending Dreams Foundation: The mission of this foundation is to give at risk youth a chance at building character and leadership skills to be successful in society.
- Greg Olsen Receptions for Research: Provides funding to hospitals and for research to help those afflicted by hobbling diseases.