– And that is the half. A very nice half of football for the Panthers. The offense moved the ball and scored a touchdown which is one more than it scored all of last preseason.
–Olindo Mare drills one down the middle to give the Panthers a 13-10 lead. Nice two minute drive by Newton and the gang. Showed some poise in the pocket.
–Newton hits a wide open Armanti Edwards for a 36-yard catch. :27 second left and no timeouts.
–Tynes hits a field goal to tie it up. Newton will have a chance to run the two-minute drill.
–Nice sack there for Jordan Pugh. I like this new defensive scheme. A lot of blitzing and confusion at the line of scrimmage
–Panthers defense holds after the fumble and Tynes misses the short 31-yard field goal. Panthers keep the lead 10-7.
– And Newton gets his first hit, takes a sack after a bad snap.
–Most of the Panther’s second team defense is now in against the Giants first team offense.
–Panthers stall inside the 10-yard line but man, Newton can chuck that football. Mare drills the field goal, Panthers up 10-7.
– Newton with a beautiful pass to Greg Olsen. What a throw, he stepped up and drilled Olsen for 30 yards, Panthers are in the redzone.
–A reverse…. what, wait I haven’t seen that in a long time out of players in the Teal, Black and Blue.
–And with that, Newton’s first pass is completed to Olsen for a first down. Had him roll out and just dump it off.
– Cam Newton is coming on the field. Let’s go.
–Cam Newton is warming up. The ‘Cam Era’ begins next drive.
– Armanti with another nice punt return. Maybe this is that talent and speed Marty Hurney talked about when he drafted him. To bad Fox never got that memo.
– Nice coverage there by R.J. Stamford. He may of got away with a pass interference but hey he did enough to disrupt the receiver.
– Ladies and gentlemen, Armati Edwards has arrived. Heck of a return there takes it to one side of the field then cuts it all the way back for a huge return.
– Sione Fua with his best Kris Jenkins impression there. Was in the backfield as soon as the ball was snapped. The rookie looks good.
– What a touchdown. Whoa alright we are moving now. That was a great pass by Clausen. An 18-yard strike threading the needle to newcomer Greg Olsen, 7-7.
– Nice back to back plays there by DeAngelo Williams with a screen and then a nice run.
– Well Tynes pushed the 51-yard field goal attempt leaving the Panthers with good field position. However, Clausen is coming back in for his third series. Hopefully he can show something here.
– This first team defense is not the same without Jon Beason in there. He gives that team some much needed energy.
– Nice pressure there by Everette Brown. He needs a good game.
– Clausen’s line so far: 31-yard pass to LaFell, 56 yard pick six, an incomplete check down pass and a sack. Not seeing much improvement from last year.
– Well at least Goodson looks to be in midseason form. Nice return out to the 28 yard line.
– And there is the Jimmy Clausen we all know and love. Clausen throws a pick six. Cam Newton time yet?
– 31 yard passing play for Clausen to Brandon LaFell. Is that the longest of his career? Either way, great start for the Panthers and Clausen.
– Looks like just a light sprinkle out there right now, game coming up in just a couple minutes.
– Worst thing about preseason games… the announcers. I love Mike Rucker the player but he is horrible commentating on the game. Best thing, it is the Panthers people working it so don’t have to listen to the negativity that Fox announces love to throw at the Panthers.
– Well folks we are less than a hour away from kickoff and I can’t wait. Keep checking back for updates throughout the game, or just stay on the page and keep hitting refresh because I will be here commenting and analyzing what is going on out on the field.
–The one bad thing, we won’t see many of the Panthers big starters. The team just released its inactive list and that list includes Charles Johnson, Steve Smith, Jon Beason, Thomas Davis, Captain Munnerlyn, Jeff Otah and Tony Pike among others.So if you were expecting the big boys, sorry.
–If you haven’t checked out a couple of our stories we posted here is a couple links to tide you over until game time.
Also, Seth McConnell took a look at five keys to the game tonight.