After coming off a 2 – 14 season in 2010 and now starting the 2011 season with a rookie quarterback, indications point to the Panthers having a bearish year.
Expectations have been tempered but now that Week 1 is in the record books things are already starting to look bullish again.
Though the Panthers may have lost, they still showed that they can compete and have what it takes to win some games this season.
That being said here are some Panther stocks to watch.
- Cam Newton: Broke a 60 year old record for the most passing yards for a quarterback in their first game and tied the record for most passing yards by a rookie. Nuff Said.
- Steve Smith: Benefactor (see Cam Newton)
- Brandon LaFell: Who says he cannot get separation? 4 catches for 70 yards while coming off the bench.
- Chris Gamble: Held premier receiver Larry Fitzgerald to only 3 catches 62 yards and no touchdowns.
- Charles Johnson: 1 sack, 4 tackles, 2 for a loss. And not on the stat line was finding Johnson surprisingly out in coverage batting down any pass that came his way.
- Jon Beason: After snapping his achillies in week 1 we will not get to see him in live action again till week 1 2012.
- Legedu Naanee: Only 1 catch and a liability when needed to block.
- Offensive Line: Allowed 4 sacks and made little to no room for our running backs.
- Double Trouble: We needed more out of backs. They combined for only 56 yards.
- Team as a whole: Penalties. Penalties. Penalties.