Panthers Training Camp: New players to watch
Dontari Poe, DT
More from Cat Crave
- Ranking the top-five QB prospects the Panthers could draft in 2023
- 4 remaining Carolina Panthers cap crunches after Damien Wilson release
- Could Duce Staley help Carolina Panthers land Jamaal Williams in 2023?
- How much could the Carolina Panthers afford to offer Lamar Jackson?
- 4 Panthers rumors to emerge from 2023 NFL Scouting Combine
Dontari Poe joins Carolina after spending one season with NFC South rival Atlanta last year. The defensive tackle is expected to fill the void created from the departure of Star Lotulelei in the middle of the Panthers defensive line.
While his play should be on par with that of Lotulelei, one thing to keep an eye on with Poe is his weight. Given a special contract incentive with the Falcons, to lose approximately 15 pounds, the Panthers too have included $500,000 in bonus money should Poe meet his required, but undisclosed, specifications.
Given players will be weighed and measured initially upon arriving to camp, how Poe’s scale reads will be worth watching in addition to how he performs along the defensive line.
Each of these new additions to the Panthers has an opportunity to make an impact now but how they perform over the next month will greatly influence the coaches decisions before the regular season begins.