Panthers: Offensive line injury replacement options
Don Barclay, G
More from Cat Crave
- Ranking the top-five QB prospects the Panthers could draft in 2023
- 4 remaining Carolina Panthers cap crunches after Damien Wilson release
- Could Duce Staley help Carolina Panthers land Jamaal Williams in 2023?
- How much could the Carolina Panthers afford to offer Lamar Jackson?
- 4 Panthers rumors to emerge from 2023 NFL Scouting Combine
Another candidate is currently a member of the NFC South divisional rival New Orleans Saints but buried deep on their depth chart. Don Barclay signed a one-year deal after playing in just three games with Detroit last season before suffering a concussion.
Until then, Barclay started 24 games for the Green Bay Packers over four seasons and at 29 years old may have a few good seasons left. Should he be released, the Panthers would have an opportunity at signing him but at that point there would also be many other, younger, players available – although experience could play into the decision.
A trade also remains an option if Carolina sees no current answers in any of the previously mentioned players or elsewhere in the league. Electing to part ways with a few draft picks and maybe a current player would be seen as a last resort effort but depending on how everything unfolds, it could save the season.
Right now, Mahon will be up first on Thursday night (August 9) in Buffalo.