Panthers keys to victory in Week 1
Contain RB Ezekiel Elliott
Running back Ezekiel Elliott is a difference maker for the Cowboys. Drafted after Carolina and Dallas last met, Elliott enjoyed an impressive rookie season narrowly losing out on Offensive Rookie of the Year to his quarterback, Prescott.
More from Cat Crave
- Ranking the top-five QB prospects the Panthers could draft in 2023
- 4 remaining Carolina Panthers cap crunches after Damien Wilson release
- Could Duce Staley help Carolina Panthers land Jamaal Williams in 2023?
- How much could the Carolina Panthers afford to offer Lamar Jackson?
- 4 Panthers rumors to emerge from 2023 NFL Scouting Combine
Last season, Elliott was ultimately suspended for six games beginning in Week 10 for domestic violence. In the first eight games, Elliott averaged 97.8 rushing yards per game, registered seven rushing touchdowns and two receiving, while helping Dallas to a 5-3 record. Without him the Cowboys were 3-3 with only five rushing touchdowns from the running back position, four from within the two-yard line.
Carolina must contain Elliott while keeping the Cowboys from gaining large chunk plays on the ground and in the air out of the backfield. The matchup between a linebacker group missing veteran, captain Thomas Davis and the featured Dallas running back should be entertaining.
The Panthers and Cowboys kick off on Sunday, September 9 at 4:25pm ET.