3 free-agent linebackers the Carolina Panthers might target in 2021
By Tyler Ball
- 2020 team – Seattle Seahawks
K.J. Wright has played a significant role in the success of the Seattle Seahawks defense over his 10-season career.
The prolific linebacker has surgical precision when it comes to acting on stopping the run and pressuring the quarterback. In addition to that, Wright is a versatile player, is excellent at reading opposing signal-callers and offenses, making him a huge threat.
Wright had an impressive 2020 season, ranking in the top-eight regarding best linebacker scores in the league, according to Pro Football Focus.
His 2020 season stats included:
- PFF rating of 75.3
- 65 solo tackles (Tied for 41st)
- 18 assists (Tied for 44th)
- 1 forced fumble (Tied for 17th),
- 1 interception (Tied for 11th)
- 2 sacks
Wright also has something the Carolina Panthers desperately need, which is leadership.
Some of his career highlights include:
- Playing in both 2013 and 2014 Super Bowls
- Becoming a world champion in Super Bowl XLVIII
- Playing in the 2016 Pro Bowl
- Second-team All-Pro in 2015
If the Panthers want to be taken seriously in the NFC South with playing the defending champion Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and with the New Orleans Saints still possessing one of the most competitive offenses in the NFL, the defense needs to bring the heat, have impeccable tackling on running downs, and strong coverage against high percentage passing offenses.
Wright can help bring that back to Carolina.