Roquan Smith, LB – Georgia
6-foot-1, 225 pounds
More from Cat Crave
- Ranking the top-five QB prospects the Panthers could draft in 2023
- 4 remaining Carolina Panthers cap crunches after Damien Wilson release
- Could Duce Staley help Carolina Panthers land Jamaal Williams in 2023?
- How much could the Carolina Panthers afford to offer Lamar Jackson?
- 4 Panthers rumors to emerge from 2023 NFL Scouting Combine
Davis already has retirement plans meaning Carolina needs someone to fill his upcoming vacancy almost immediately. While waiting until next year is always an option, drafting a fellow Georiga Bulldog, like Davis, and giving him one year with the rookie would be an ideal situation.
"Smith is an ascending linebacker prospect with elite athletic ability, plus intelligence and an ability to be an effective cover linebacker on passing downs. While he’s a little undersized, he does have the quickness and speed to keep himself from being mauled. He was good in 2016, but great in 2017 and projects as a player who hasn’t tapped his full potential. Smith has Pro Bowl traits and talent and will come off the board in the first round."
Smith is another prospect the Panthers may have to move up for if he is indeed the selection in the first-round. With eight picks total there remains a little wiggle room in negotiating and still drawing a decent draft haul.
This is just one of the many decisions facing Hurney and Rivera over the next month as their prospect evaluations begin.